5 Easy Steps | How To Get Rid Bed Bugs Out Of Rugs And Carpets
When you’re looking at how to get bed bugs out by treating flooring for bed bugs be sure to take your time and read this article to ensure you are not just spreading the issue from one section of your home or property to another. Its an important process to understand not only how to get rid of them but also where did they come from. This will help you understand the process of not allowing them to transport out of your property. Here is a quick list of all the places that bed bugs can come from.
Do not sweep a floor you suspect has bed bugs. Wiping a floor that has suspected bed bugs will only spread the issues. This is because the eggs, nymphs and larvae can be pushed into another area. If your moving out of your home or apartment DO NOT JUST ROLL UP CARPETS AND RUGS WITHOUT CLEANING THEM.
Use this checklist to remove bed bugs from carpet, rugs or flooring.
Please note all the flooring should be done at once. Do not do this process in sections over long periods of time.
- Step 1 – Clear all items from the flooring as if you were going to clean the floor. This includes all furniture beds, mattresses and dressers. You will have to take them apart if need be. Be sure to remove everything properly following the prepping procedure listed in our prep article.
- Step 2 – Bag all rugs in clear plastic bags. Follow the procedures for handling linens by washing, drying or leaving the items in bags. Highest settings possible.
- Step 3 – You can use a professional rug or carpet cleaning company if you feel the need or have concerns about how to handle the process. If you do this yourself be sure to use carpet shampoo and use charitable and covering all surface areas possible.
Quick Fact: Bed bugs bite in groups of three (3). Researchers are still trying to figure out why.
- Step 4 – After shampooing the carpet or rugs you can apply Borax powder or Diatomaceous earth to the carpets, rugs and flooring. This can be spread over all surface areas and left to sit for about 3.5 hours. Both products can be irritants so be sure to read the labels and follow the directions for application and use. Kids and pets should be kept of the area. The reason for this application is to break down the exoskeleton of bed bugs.
- Step 5 – Vacuum the entire surface area of the home and be sure to vacuum up all the powder and debris thoroughly. Be sure to empty the vacuum or the bag into a bag and take directly out to the trash. Do not empty in an indoor trash bin, inside or anywhere near the home.
Quick Fact: Bed bugs only come out when it’s dark. This is learned behavior.
Area Rugs can be put into the dryer if they fit and are able to be dried and run on the heat setting as references in the laundry posts. You can also use a streamer or heat treatment on wall to wall carpet, rugs or area rugs but you must be very thorough. Most bed bug, eggs, nymphs and larvae are invisible to naked eye so missing a spot could result in infestation.
Bare Floors such as hardwood, tile or linoleum are best cleaned with a steam cleaner. Making sure your getting into all the cracks and crevices. Steam cleaners can be used in a variety of areas when treating for bed bugs.
If your in the market for a new vacuum cleaner and need some recommendations here are some of our picks.
Vapamore MR-100 Steamer
Atrix HEPA Backpack Vacuum
Conair Extreme Steamer
If you discover ants, bees, mice or other pest in your home, contact EnviroPest Exterminator NY for immediate relief. Our certified team is educated in the most advanced bed bug protocols and equipped with the state-of-the-art resources necessary for complete eradication of these pests. You can also sign up online or call. It’s exterminators NY trusts and we look forward to discussing your issue.