Your Local Rat Pest Control Experts
For over 20 years, EnviroPest’s rat pest control experts have been around protecting households and families. Our rat pest control experts have a vast knowledge of humane treatments to evict rats from your home once and for all.
About Rats, Roof Rats, Norway Rats and more:
Rats and mice are constantly invading our homes and buildings because as we encroach on their natural habitat, we leave them no alternative but to enter our homes. Our homes are designed to keep us warm and protected from all kinds of weather. Why wouldn’t rats want to keep their family safe as well? And we know that populations are expected to continually rise due to the plentiful food supplies and mild climate patterns, so this problem in our area is not going away soon.
As the #1 rat, mice and rodent pest control company in New York, EnviroPest evaluates each clients’ needs individually. We evaluate how to get rid of rats using control services that can reduce rodent infestations.
Our Rat Pest Control Method
Humane Rat Removal
EnviroPest’s strategy is to use humane methods to remove the rat as safely as possible. Typically, we try to establish a strategy that forces the animal to leave your home without return (one-way exit). This way the rats are able to leave and find shelter on their own terms, along with bringing their pups if any are present.
After we safely remove the rats, we find and secure entrance points such as holes, wires, cracks, and beams – anything they might use to reenter the structure. We make sure that your house is 100% rat and nuisance wildlife proof.
Our rat pest control experts will then complete a proper cleanup to ensure the animal’s harboring area and feces are cleaned up and thoroughly sanitized. This provides safe living conditions for your home after the rodent infestation has been driven out. Rat trapping is one way to eliminate rats but this can sometimes just slow down the reproductive processes. Often was strive for complete rat elimination as opposed to just rat control. Also rat bait stations can be set-up to eliminate as well. Be sure to look for signs of rats since they are neophobic. This means they will hide and are hard to find even as they live in our homes.
Rats - Rattus
The rat is a small scavenger mammal that has proved to be a pest in both urban and rural areas where rats are normally present due to an abundance of food. Not all rats live close to humans. Of the 56 known species, many live in remote habitats like marshlands and rain forests, and some are endangered.
Rats can breed even more efficiently than rabbits and large infestations can quickly develop if not controlled. Rats are capable of reproducing at about 3 months of age. After mating pregnancy lasts for 21-24 days and averaging 6-11 young rats in a litter.
Evidence of Rat Infestation
- Do you find rat droppings around dog or cat dishes or pet food storage containers?
- Do you hear noises coming from the attic just after dusk?
- Have you found remnants of rat nests when dismantling your firewood stack?
- Does your dog or cat bring home dead rat carcasses?
- Are there smudge marks caused by the rats rubbing their fur against beams, rafters, pipes, and walls?
- Do you see burrows beneath your compost pile or beneath the garbage can?
- Have you ever removed a drowned rat from your swimming pool or hot tub?
- Do you see evidence of something digging under your garden tool shed or doghouse?
How Did I Get Rats in My Home?
Rats can gain entry to structures by gnawing, climbing, jumping, or swimming through sewers and entering through toilets or broken drains. Rats, especially young rats, can squeeze beneath a door with only a 1/2-inch gap. If the door is made of wood, the rat might gnaw to enlarge the gap, but this might not be necessary.
Health Implications of Rats
Among the diseases rats can transmit to humans or livestock are murine typhus, leptospirosis, salmonellosis (food poisoning), and rat-bite fever. Plague is a disease that both roof and Norway rats can carry, but in California it is more commonly associated with ground squirrels, chipmunks, and native woodrats.
Signs of Rats in Your Home
- What You’ll See: Search out signs of rats that could be seeking shelter nearby, like feces.
- What You’ll Hear: Listen for sounds of scratching in the walls and ceilings. Rat noises such as a chirp or squeak could imply a problem.
Rat Infestation Implications:
- Air quality issues
- Psychological effects
- Structural damage
- Chewed wires
- Health worries
RODENT FACTS AND BIOLOGY
Norway rats are brownish or gray in color and can grow to lengths exceeding 18 inches, including the tail. They weigh between seven and twelve ounces on average, but can sometimes grow to more than a pound. Norway rats often excavate burrows in the ground in fields, under sheds or buildings, at the base of trees, and under rocks. But they also make themselves at home in abandoned buildings, basements, garbage dumps, sewers, around garbage dumpsters, and pretty much anywhere else they can find food, water, and relative seclusion.
Rodents are warm-blooded mammals that, like humans, can be found throughout the world. The most common rodents we get phone calls about in Rochester are rats and mice. They have oversized front teeth for gnawing and check teeth, which are adapted for chewing. Rodents chew on anything available to them and cause damage in and around homes.
Rodents tend to be rapid breeders. Although certain mice are known for short life spans due to predation, populations are maintained through constant reproduction. High reproduction rates also allow for just a few rodents to become an entire rodent infestation in a relatively short amount of time. Because most rodents possess soft cartilage, they are capable of squeezing through spaces that appear to be much too small for them.
How To Hire An Exterminator When You Have A Rat Problem
- The pest management company should be licensed by the state and insured.
- Technicians should be certified pest management professionals and fully licensed in the state.
- The company should be a member of a professional organization, such as the National Pest Management Association.
- The company should have a staff entomologist or access to one.
- Technicians should have experience with nuisance wildlife.
- Choose a company based on their quality of service. We recommend reading reviews and checking out testimonials before choosing a business.
- A pre-inspection should be conducted to assess the scope of the work.
- Rat exterminator costs compared with the guarantee.
The EnviroPest Guarantee
Complete Service Guarantee
If at any time between services or your guarantee period, you as a customer of EnviroPest are not satisfied for any reason. We will readdress the area in question at no additional charge. We have serviced over 300,000 homes and businesses over 30 years, and our clients rely on us to stand behind the work we perform.
Our continuous inspection and treatment mean a 100% guarantee as long as you have us on the property.
Our service personnel has been trained and certified with over six (6) years of experience in the pest control field as specialists. We do not advocate or provide seasonal labor or “college kids” to provide applications in or around your family or home. Another reason we are the natural choice in pest control.
How Does EnviroPest Specifically Handle Rats?
EnviroPest is trained to manage rats:
- Inspection – We will inspect and treat the areas of infestation and the areas that are considered high-risk areas within a home. The more extensive and detailed the treatment, the more effective.
- Prevention – Humidity should be reduced if possible in the high-risk areas and any building materials. Moisture should be removed from any site containing highly conductive areas that could create areas of harborage. We can help identify these areas with our clients as we guide through the property.
- Guarantee – We are ready to check after some time on whether the problems have been resolved. However, you should also check trouble areas regularly considering this issue takes a while to occur and become visible; an excellent company should also guarantee it after treating the infestation.
You can also use the onsite chat feature, Free Pest Inspection form on this page, or our online contact form to get in touch with us. Whatever your pest control need, we are happy to help you eliminate it.