We Are Clothes Moth Exterminators
EnviroPest has been protecting local homes and families for over 30 years. Our exterminators provide a variety of treatments including our all-natural Clothes Moth pest control solutions that will effectively deal with your issue without requiring you to leave the comforts of your home. As a company committed to organic and proper application of pesticides, our residential pest control solutions have been the right fit for over 100,000 families.
Biology of the Clothes Moth
Two species of Clothes Moths are of primary importance in homes: the case-making Clothes Moth and the webbing Clothes Moth. Adults of both species are buff-colored with few distinguishing marks and look very much alike. They do not feed and are not attracted to light. Female moths lay from 100 to 150 small, pinhead-sized, white eggs which hatch in about five days.
Full-grown larvae are about one third of an inch long. Larvae stage varies from six weeks to several years. Larvae of the case-making clothes moths live in silken cases which they drag with them. As the larva grows, so does the case, until finally the case is converted into a tough cocoon in which the pupa develops. The Clothes Moth emerges in one to four weeks. Clothes Moth larvae feed on wool, wool blends, feathers, fur hair, dry milk powder, leather, other animal products and sometimes on lint, dust or paper. Clothes Moth larvae do not wander like carpet beetle larvae so look for them on materials on which they feed.
Our Industry Leading Clothes Moth Extermination Method
We Start with a Thorough Investigation
The webbing Clothes Moth is the one that is most common in households. When first noticed, it is usually oriental carpeting or silk/wool clothing brought out for the winter months that contain holes.
Moths usually fly around at night and can appear in areas close to the infestation. Inspect places where clothes are stored. They will affect all-natural fibers. They can be 100% or blended fibers. Every natural fiber item requires professional treatment, then laundering or dry cleaning or professional cleaning according to the type of fiber it is.
5 Tips to prevent clothing moths
- Keep a clean, organized home
- Wash your dirty clothes
- Use pheromone strips
- Use mothballs
- Store clothing in airtight containers and bags
Who To Hire
Not all Clothes Moth exterminators are the same. The treatment for Clothes Moths can be an extremely long and arduous process. We recommended at least 3-5 applications based on the extent of the infestation. These repeated inspections and applications ensure we have targeted all the areas and eliminated all the property’s eggs and cycles. Some infestation can be more extensive than others, but until the pest’s life cycle has been exhausted, we will not know that the infestation’s extent has been resolved.
What to Look for When Hiring a Clothes Moth Exterminator
- The pest management company should be licensed by the state and insured.
- Technicians should be certified pest management professionals and fully licensed in the state.
- The company should be a member of a professional organization, such as the National Pest Management Association.
- The company should have a staff entomologist or access to one.
- Technicians should have experience with Clothes Moth pest control.
- Choose a company based on their quality of service, not the price. Research user reviews and testimonials to solidify your choice.
- A pre-inspection should be conducted to assess the scope of the work.
- The proposed work should follow the steps of integrated pest management, not just pesticide application.
Checklist for a Clothes Moth Exterminator:
Below is a checklist that all Clothes Moth exterminator should use to properly eliminate an infestation throughout a home. EnviroPest professionals only follow the strictest guidelines and highest quality application with industry leading materials. Ask us more about how we can help you with your Clothes Moth infestation.
- Educate your customer, address concerns, and sanitation or clutter issues.
- Inspect all rooms where natural fibers have been or are stored.
- Wear appropriate protective gear, such as your respirator.
- Clothes Moth exterminators should apply a pesticide. This application is made by targeting crack and crevice with an appropriately labeled product.
- Fog all affected areas and close off for at least 4 hours.
- For inside large plastic trash bags holding clothing and tie off.
- Make sure the customer knows that natural fibers can include: bedding, window treatments, carpeting, towels, everyday items as well as clothing and coats.
- Test all leather, animal fur, or other questionable clothing if you are unsure if the material used may stain.
- Treat a bit of the material in a hidden corner.
- Strongly recommend if there are leather goods or animal fur, like mink, fox, etc., they go for professional cleaning, furrier, or leather cleaner.
- For oriental carpeting, test a corner if the carpeting appears old. Recommend professional cleaning.
- The rest of the clothing can go into the plastic trash bags to be fogged and tied off for 12/24 hours.
- For complete elimination, the customer must launder all clothing in treated bags after that time.
- There should be two required follow-ups to this treatment. Tell the customer not to put natural fiber goods back into the treated areas unless encased in plastic.
- They should keep the areas clear for the treatment timeframe of 6/8 months.
The EnviroPest Complete Service Guarantee
If at any time between services or your guarantee period, you as a customer of EnviroPest are not satisfied for any reason. We will readdress the area in question at no additional charge. We have serviced over 300,000 homes and businesses over 30 years, and our clients rely on us to stand behind the work we perform.
Our continuous inspection and treatment mean a 100% guarantee as long as you have us on the property.
Our service personnel has been trained and certified with over six (6) years of experience in the pest control field as specialists. We do not advocate or provide seasonal labor or “college kids” to provide applications in or around your family or home. Another reason we are the natural choice in pest control.
ASK THE EXTERMINATOR:
How Serious Are Clothes Moths? Are They Dangerous?
Clothes Moths cause damage to clothing, furniture and destroy personal property. Clothes moths will cause a lot of damage over time, but they are not dangerous.
How Much Damage Do Clothes Moth Cause?
The larval stage causes Clothes Moths’ damage. They will destroy items such as rugs, wool fabrics, furs, and any related items in a home or building. Moth larvae have been found in brushes, hair, tobacco, and many other things. They can be a challenging pest to eliminate. The adults do not cause harm.
How Did I Get Clothes Moths?
Most Clothes Moth infestations begin through second-hand clothing. Buying something from a second-hand store can transport clothes moth larvae into your home. However, they can be found in new clothing storage as well. The Clothes Moths will lay eggs on fabrics inside your home after entering through cracks or crevices in walls or around doors.
Should We Apply Pesticide for Clothes Moths?
If you have a current infestation (damage, moths flying), you should begin the process of elimination. Clothes Moth exterminators are usually required to rid the home of the reproductive clothes moth cycles completely.
How To Prepare For A Clothes Moths Exterminator?
- Remove all-natural fiber and natural fiber blended items from affected areas.
- De-Clutter and clean/vacuum areas affected.
- Bag all treatable items.
- Remove all animal fur clothes/carpets/window treatments.
- Remove all leather goods.
- All leather and animal fur items need to be sent to the appropriate professional cleaners for a full cleaning.
- Large carpets can be treated and will be tested for stain resistance.
- Prepare to stay out of treated areas for 4-6 hours.
- Prepare to keep all items of natural fibers out of affected areas for six months or longer.
- Launder all bagged/treated items 12/24 hours after treatment.
- Follow the recommendations of your licensed professional.
How Does EnviroPest Specifically Handle Clothes Moths?
EnviroPest is trained to manage Clothes Moth:
- Inspection – We will inspect and treat not only the areas of infestation but also the areas that are considered high risk areas within a home. The more extensive and detailed the treatment the more effective.
- Prevention – Humidity should be reduced if possible in the high risk areas and any building materials. Moisture should be removed from any area containing highly conducive areas that could create areas of harborage. We can help identify these areas with our clients as we walk through the property.
- Guarantee – We are happy to check after a period of time on whether the problems have been resolved. Areas should be checked regularly considering this issue takes a while to occur and become visible it also should be guaranteed by a proper company after you treat the infestation.
You can also use the onsite chat feature, Free Pest Inspection form on this page, or our online contact form to get in touch with us. Whatever your pest control need, we are happy to help you eliminate it.
Free Pest Inspection!
Why Choose EnviroPest?
- 24/7 Service Available
- We Stand By Every Service—Guaranteed
- Safe, Effective All-Natural Treatments
- Environmentally Conscious
- Fast, Free Inspections & Estimates