Tools that you’ll need for a proper bed bug inspection
Bed bugs are a serious issue in the pest control industry. Different companies have different approaches to addressing the problem. Make sure your prepared by doing your own inspection with these bed bug inspection tools. At EnviroPest, our thorough and rigorous inspection process means that we check multiple areas throughout your home.
Before you call us, however, there are a number of steps you can take on your own to help determine if bed bugs really are the cause of your concern. Below, you’ll find a list of the tools you’ll need—the same ones we use in our professional inspections—as well as some telltale signs that indicate the presence of bed bugs.
Tools of the Trade
- Magnifying glass
- Strong flashlight
- Plastic zip-top bags for collecting specimens
- Probe, such as a “credit card tool,” made by cutting any plastic card into a long triangle, for checking in narrow spaces
- Pyrethrin or compressed air (used for cleaning computers) for flushing bedbugs from cracks and crevices
- Screwdrivers for removing light switch and electrical plates
- Other tools (a small tool kit) for disassembling furniture
- Alcohol, glass-cleaning or baby wipes, for evidence that stains are bed bug droppings
- Cotton swabs for checking stains in crevices
- Sticky traps may be useful if placed under the bed and checked regularly
Signs of Life
You’ve gathered the proper tools, but before you embark on your search it’s important to know what, exactly, you’re looking for. Distinct signs of bed bugs include the following:
- Live bugs: ranging in size from poppy seed to apple seed
- Droppings: usually dark colored stains on cloth or bumps on hard surfaces
- Shed skins: discarded after each of five stages of growth
- Eggs: very small, found among droppings or in crevices where adults hide
Next up in our Bed Bugs Blog Series, we’ll discuss proper inspection methods and techniques for the most common area of infestations—the bed—and beyond.
Bed Bug Preparation After Inspection
Proper preparation is an essential step for ensuring the most effective results from your upcoming bed bug treatment. Importantly, EnviroPest will provide detailed instructions on what you need to do before your scheduled treatment in the following document. Preparation involves everything from providing adequate access to your unit or property, to cleaning and post treatment recommendations. We understand that appropriate preparation can be difficult to achieve in a short period of time and that senior citizens or handicapped individuals may need additional assistance and time considerations
If you discover bed bugs in your home, contact EnviroPest Exterminators for immediate relief. Our certified team is educated in the most advanced bed bug protocols and equipped with the state-of-the-art resources necessary for complete eradication of these pests. We’re the exterminators NY trusts and we look forward to discussing your issue.